[Rhodes22-list] Galvanic corrosion

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Mon Jun 28 08:51:29 EDT 2004

All,

This was never a concern for us w/ our Rhodes, since our marina doesn't have
electricity at the slip, and we never worried about zincs or galvanic
corrosion.

Now that we've got the Tayana and have her docked at a marina w/ water and
electricity, and have sacrificial zincs to maintain (everywhere, it seems),
I've decided to install a galvanic isolator on our incoming AC ground.

Has anyone else had to deal w/ this issue? Seems like the Seaward owners
might need to pay attention to this, too, w/ the inboard diesel. One of the
other guys at our marina said he was going through zincs every few months
until he installed a galvanic isolator, now his have lasted two years, so
far. Even though zincs are relatively cheap, the cost of hauling and
splashing a boat this size seems to make a galvanic isolator (a.k.a. "zinc
saver") a good investment.

We$t Marine has a 30A Guest w/ monitoring for $240. I just ordered one on
eBay, same thing, new, for $133. We'll see how it goes.

Mark Kaynor