[Rhodes22-list] Important notify about your e-mail account.

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Tue Mar 2 22:11:00 EST 2004

Folks,

I would remind everyone to NEVER OPEN AN UNSOLICITED EMAIL ATTACHMENT.  I
can't say this enough - my users are sick of hearing it, but we have an
extremely low infection rate because I continually beat them about the ears
with it <g>.

Remember - If you didn't request it, don't open it - even if it's from a
"trusted" source. Worms, Trojans, and other very bad things can open up your
computer to the "black hats" without you even knowing about it. The most
recent of these things contain their own built-in email server so they can
harvest all your contacts and email infected documents to them w/o using
your email server. Opening unsolicited attachments is bad, bad, bad.

Always check with the sender of the email if the origin is in question. Save
and scan all attachments with your anti-virus scanning software before
opening them. And make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.

Okay. Sorry. It's the sysadmin in me. I'll get off the soapbox now. But
please refer to the Sophos "Guide to Safer Computing" for more info:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/bestpractice/

Mark Kaynor