[Rhodes22-list] Mac spybot? Was Virus?

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Mar 3 15:22:38 EST 2004

I don't have virus problems since I have a Mac.  As I understand it, a virus
is an executable (xxxxx.exe) which is not recognized by Macs.  But I can and
do get spyware, i.e., "cookies,"  the little bits of software that the web
sites pass on to my browser whenever I visit any web site.  Most of them are
harmless, such as when I visit Amazon, the cookie tells them who I am and
what I've bought before.  That way they can make suggestions pop up that I
might like.  Or if I set up "My Yahoo" it's the cookie that keeps me
straight from everyone else that logs in.  More devious are the data
harvester cookies that track every move I make on the web for marketing
purposes.  They can also harvest your email for spammers.  Worse still are
the "malware" cookies that can cause damage even to the mighty Mac. (rare) I
can shut all the cookies off in my browser prefs, but then most web site
won't work.  I have not found any spybot-type programs for the Mac.  Anybody
know of one?
Slim