[Rhodes22-list] virus? - firewalls

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Mar 3 19:54:43 EST 2004

Richard F Sheehan wrote:
> Yes
>  it does have a firewall.  Two firewalls can mess up your network, in
> that some of the computers may not be able to contact each other.

Another view:

USR etc. (and perhaps Linksys) have produced wireless routers that
perform NAT (network address translation).  This prevents hosts on the
outside from seeing the real IP address of your computer, and thereby
reduces the probability of direct attack.  This is a good first line of
defense, but IMHO is not a firewall.  I use the USR 8022 wireless router
to share a cable internet connection among several computers.

In addition, I use (and pay for) the Zone Alarm Pro personal firewall
because it has been reliable and because it catches OUTGOING connections
as well as those attempting to come in.  This is particularly valuable
in catching embedded spyware as it tries to "phone home".

These two agents, one hardware and one software, play well together.
--
Robert Skinner, "Squirrel Haven"
9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, ME 04038-1331