[Rhodes22-list] Major Ice Damage

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 19:38:11 EST 2004

Roger,
The lake we lived on in Wisconsin had rather violent ice break ups since we
lived on the far side of the mouth of the Yellow River. I remember seeing
entire trees being moved across the lake and somehow they always managed to get
stuck right in front of my house. Spring and summers were spent dragging, cutting
and stacking the wood on our bank which was then used later the next winter
for huge fires on the ice.
It is no exaggeration to say we stacked the wood log cabin style and then
filled the interior with wood sometimes twenty feet high. It was very impressive
and drew people from miles for a really good party. And no, it never burned
through the ice.
These days I'm content to have a fire in our fireplace when the temps hit 30
degrees.
The winds are really howling tonight. Sailboats are breaking lose from their
moorings and grounding and just recently I clocked a gust at 54 mph. It must
be a cold front moving in after a beautiful weekend. Oh well, I guess winter
isn't done with us after all.
Good luck on your dock project. Build another one and it will probably last
another twenty years without incident.

Rummy