[Rhodes22-list] messing about in boats

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 8 09:28:10 EST 2004

>From Garrison Keillor's writer's almanac for today, this was passed to me and seems worth passing on to you fellow Rhodiess  -PT

It's the birthday of essayist and children's author Kenneth Grahame, born in Edinburgh, Scotland (1859).

Grahame wrote, "There is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. . . . In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do."