[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard removal for painting

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 13:58:20 EST 2004

I did this past year and posted some pictures which you should be
able to find on the archives.  If not I can dig them up again.  The
procedure is not particularly difficult and is described on the FAQ
page.  You  need to remove the starbord settee and take up the carpet.
The centerboard trunk lies under a section of plywood which, in my
case, had been secured by about a half dozen angled wood screws.
You then have to remove about 50 bolts which hold the cap and
secure the gasket.  In my case the bolts were threaded into the
fiberglass.  I got a new gasket from GB and Stan included a bag of
nylon insert nuts.  I measured and cut the gasket material and drilled out
the holes to use the nuts/bolts rather than the screws.  It is also a good
chance to replace your CB pendant.  I was careful to clean the surfaces
which mate to the gasket.  The high density of bolts insures that the
gasket is uniformly compressed.

Ron