[Rhodes22-list] Motor Hoist Mounting

Eaton, Gil GEaton at IKON.com
Thu Mar 11 11:20:20 EST 2004

	Thanks Dick,
	Any chance you remembered the length for the bolts?  Once you get
past 2", selections get pretty slim.  I guess to be 100% correct, the holes
should be drilled oversize and then epoxied, then drilled for size to
prevent water intrusion in the hull?  Thanks for the tip on 3/8' bolts, it
might make the bolt selection easier.
	gil
Gil Eaton
S/V Closing Time
Spring Cove Marina
Rock Hall, MD

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org]On Behalf Of Richard F
Sheehan
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 9:54 AM
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Cc: rhodes-list at sailnet.net; rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Motor Hoist Mounting

Gil,

When Sea Prompt was very new to me, the original 1987 motor mount failed.
 I replaced it with the 2000 model.  I through bolted it.  Since you have
a serviceable mount, with holes already started, I'd recommend this:
This is a 2 person job to be performed on dry land.

1 Drill your current holes until you've gone through the rear gunnel.
2 Use only stainless hardware.  You'll have to measure the length
required for the bolts, a couple of those large cabinet washers, a lock
washer and a nylon locknut. 3/8" diam bolts work.
3 The outside man holds the mount in place, caulks the holes in the hull
with sealant and inserts the bolts.
4 The inside man caulks the holes with sealant, places the washers and
nut on the bolt, tightens with wrench until mostly tight.  He then holds
nuts with wrench until
5 The outside man finishes tightening the bolts.

I  [6' 210 lbs] had to remove the battery as well as all other stuff in
order to fit inside the rear lazerette.

Coat your mount's sliding surfaces with silicon spray for excellent up
and down response.
 Hope this is useful to you.
        Dick

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:46:30 -0500 "Eaton, Gil" <GEaton at IKON.com> writes:
>         Hi all,
>         I have a 1993 recycle with the GBI custom motor lift (6:1 or
> 8:1,
> not sure).  The bolts holding the mount to the transom keep pulling
> loose,
> they are about 3" long 1/4-20 tapped into the plastic uprights.
> I'm
> thinking of through bolting with nuts on the end, has anyone else
> attempted
> to do this or have a similar problem/fix?  I have the Yamaha 9.9
> electric
> start, so it has a pretty heavy load.
>         Thanks,
>         gil