[Rhodes22-list] Purchasing new genny????

Paul Grandholm paul at grandpower.com
Fri Mar 12 11:45:27 EST 2004

I've been following this thread with interest.  I have the 175 genny and
love it in most cases.  However, it does make the boat significantly
overpowered in anything over 10 knots (probably 8 knots).  If you're just
cruising, the assumption is that you just reef or furl until you're
balanced and keep going.  The truth is however, that you can only furl
the headsail so much before you lose sail shape and boat speed.  The
problem is also that if we're all honest, the only guy that's cruising is
the guy that's behind and can't catch up.  There is no such thing as a
perfect sail for all conditions.  Stan once said that the 175 comes the
closest because you can sail well in light air and furl as much as you
have to in heavier air.  I agree.  I think that the next time I need a
new headsail, I will try to get a new furler that will allow me to change
foresails without taking down the mast.  I will probably get the new UPS
or whatever it's called that Mary Lou et al have and then a 150 or 135
with a foam luff pad for heavier air.

Paul