[Rhodes22-list] Purchasing new genny????

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Fri Mar 12 13:22:49 EST 2004

Paul,

We have the 175%, a 135%, and the UPS on Raven. We had a foam luff pad added
to the 175 last year and I wish we hadn't. While it helps maintain sail
shape over a larger furling range, I think it also adversely affected
performance in lower winds. With the 135, we really don't need the luff pad,
anyway.

Like you, we prefer not to use the 175 in over about 10 knots of wind. We
have the CDI furler, and usually make our headsail decision at the dock
based on the forecast and current conditions.

The 135 has proven to be a good choice for our location. We've sailed it in
20-25 kts gusting to the mid-30s without too much trouble. Fully unfurled
sailing on just the headsail a 35 kt gust has caused us to heel enough to
lift the  rudder out of the water and head us up - at that point we just
furl some and carry on. I'd rather not be out in much more wind than that.

I think if we regularly had wind over about 15-20 kts, I'd like to add a 100
or a 110 to our suit. We seem to average around 5-15 on our lake, so I think
we're pretty well set for our current needs.

You've probably seen my posts r.e. the UPS - great sail.

Mark Kaynor