[Rhodes22-list] Bullshit.

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Mar 13 10:16:41 EST 2004

Rummy,

It is when folks claim things that are physically impossible.  The force
available from the wind on the sails is proportional to the
[Wind Speed]^2.  How is it that my Rhodes 22 is healed over at 30 deg with
the rails awash at about 12 -15 knots of wind when sailing an upwind beat &
yet other Rhodes 22's claim to be able to carry full sail up to 20 knots?
This means that; somehow, these other Rhodes 22's are able to stand up
against a heeling force that is [20]^2 / [15]^2 = 1.78X the heeling force
that knocks my Rhodes 22 down on its rail.  I don't think so!  The more
likely explanation is incorrect wind speed estimation.  Since I use a hand
held anemometer and calibrate every year, I believe my data.  Again, get
yourself an anemometer, measure the wind speed, & show me your data.  We can
argue until the cows come home, but I won't believe your anecdotal examples
over my own data.  I think you will be surprised how much you are
overestimating the wind speed.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium