[Rhodes22-list] Purchasing new genny????

Jay Friedland a.jayf at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 12:58:25 EST 2004

Wally-
Let me throw one other "variable" into the mix-original manufacturing.
I went on the list recently for recommendations on a replacement gennie
as well. Because there was wrinkles in the draft of the sail with luff
tape when it was 1/3 reefed, I felt there was stretch even though the
sail was new with my '97 Rhodes. I didn't remember it before and also,
a racing friend really pointed it out, and I watched it develop each
time I reefed.

Before tossing it, I had a local sailmaker look at and although we both
feel Doyle is a quality loft, even Barbados, it appeared cut wrong. It
was laid out on his floor and then as obvious as day excessive draft
showed up. He since corrected it by removing up to 1-3/4" of material
across 2 or 3 seams, and restitching the luff. As the sailcloth had
full resin, it was a poor job out of the factory. I had been in touch
with the factory during manufacturing as it was one of the  first for
use with the CDI furler. Even though they were very responsive, do many
repeat sails for Stan, their work needs to be checked.

Anyhow, I anticipate it will be like finding horsepower I didn't know I
lost. Take an experienced cruiser or racer out with you to check sail
shape as well as sheet settings once in a while. A second set of eyes
can't hurt.
Jay