[Rhodes22-list] New Genny - Was Bullshit

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Mar 14 08:52:55 EST 2004

Rummy, Wally, et al...

If I offended any of you with the bullshit comment my previous post; then, I apologise.

It is my understanding that GBI upgraded the standard genoa size from 150% to 175% at around the same time as the IMF mainsail & the luxurious (but heavy) cabin interiors became available.  The older Rhodes 22's, like Dynamic Equilibrium, my 1976 model, have always been at their best in light to moderate wind speeds (0 - 15 knots).  As the boat's weight increased and the mainsail area decreased & became less efficient with the IMF mainsail, the increase in genoa size was an attempt by GBI to maintain some sort of light air performance parity with the older models.  However, if anything, it would be expected the 175% genoa would need to start furling at lower wind speeds than the older models; not greater as some of you are claiming.

The Rhodes 22 is a remarkable little boat.  I really enjoy sailing and cruising on Dynamic Equilibrium in all kinds of weather.  But, let's not let our enthusiam for the product prevent us from keeping this discussion grounded in reality.  There isn't a trailerable sailboat made that can carry full sail area upwind in 20 knots and certainly not at the
[Sail Area] / [Displacement] ratio of the Rhodes 22.  Any trailerable sailboat so undercanvased; that, it could carry full sail area upwind in 20 knots, wouldn't be able to get out of its own way in light air.  Gentlemen, what you are claiming is physically impossible, a violation of several laws of physics and aerodynamics.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium