[Rhodes22-list] New Genny - Was Bullshit

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 14 09:55:03 EST 2004

Roger,

Didn't bother me, I have to admit I was thinking the same thing
......remember I am the one who said I furl main (lower boom as well) and my
125 in 20 plus. I have myself and any crew on the rail. Your earlier post
regarding different wind speeds and sail plans made sense to me.

I am curious about one of your comments. What is on my boat that would make
it so much heavier than yours? I suspect my 84 may weigh the same or less
than yours but I don't know. Do the older ones have less ballast or less
fiber glass? I know the IMF mast adds weight and all of it up high so this
would add weight to mine and certainly increase heeling to an extent. Are
there other construction differences between an 84 and 70s model.

I suspect you might carry more gear than me. My tool box consists of spare
fuses,spark plug socket, spare plugs, vise grips, a couple of pliers, mulit
use screw driver, 2 real screw drivers, some cotter pins, multimeter, spare
wire, various electrical fittings and sail tape. I only carry one small
anchor, don't have water in the tank, and usually none in the porta potti.
If you look behind my sliding mirror cabinets you will see empty space.
Nothing is stored on the little shelf over the galley either. I keep a
little cooking stuff under the sink but not much ( one small pan). Nothing
is stored in the v-birth other than spinnaker and bag with rain gear. I do
have two Group 24 batteries, 2 spotlights, flashlight, and a charger. I do
not have any solar panels. My laz has 8X10 tarp, extra line of various
sizes. life jackets, a bucket, bailing pump, and some cleaning supplies. I
have no wind vane, knot meter or depth gauge. I use a hand held radio and
have a small stereo. I carry atmost 3 gallons of gas and my outboard weighs
about 50 pounds. I almost forgot, I do carry some liquid ballast in a cooler
that I lighten as the day goes on. :-) I also have no bimini.

Now when things warm up and we start over nighting my boat get a little
heavier. The bedding stays on. I also fill up water tank with about 5
gallons or so and add water to the porta potti.  I also add a 50 pound
inflatable kayak and various other gear.

One of these days I just need to get the whole rig weighed.

Now today it is supposed to be blowing near 20 with 30% chance of rain. So
it is back to the lake.

Wallly