[Rhodes22-list] Wally's dilemma on sails

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Sun Mar 14 11:48:23 EST 2004

Wally,
Good job on sorting out who said what. (Bill & Ted from the TSBB would be
proud).

As far as pointing ability, the 175 does great fully deployed. As you furl
it you lose pointing ability slowly until you can run the sheets inside -
whereupon you gain something only to lose it if you need to furl more but
then you have a 125. I would think going from a 125 to a 155, you would
find a big improvement at the windspeeds you are talking about. With a 175,
you would probably improve significantly until 10 knots and then maybe see
some decrease in pointing ability if you furled a bit for 12 knots. At 12
knots we've usually furled enough to affect pointing ability but we are not
very quick to deal with gusts so we probably furl more than sailors who
play the puffs more. We find that with the sail furled just a little bit we
are able to point as well as most boats (excluding the Js and a few other
performance boats -but we don't point as well as they do anyway). Not sure
how far we have to furl it to use the side-deck tack which would improve
pointing ability. At the point we that can, we will take it to the cabin
top leads but by then you would have since switched to your 125.

Does the Harken furler really make sail changes as easily as changes with
hank on sails?

Mary Lou