[Rhodes22-list] boat weight and lifting

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Sun Mar 14 21:10:42 EST 2004

Peter,

   There was no damage to the boat at all.  She went over in slow motion without a sound...not so much as a creak or groan.  If I was looking the other way, I would never had know she went over.  The bow was about 4 ft from the bow stop roller, so she was almost 2/3 on the trailer.  Luckily my trailer in a home built, and the bunk support angles are bolted and not welded.  The bunk swiveled as she slid and rolled, matching the shape of the side of the hull.

  When I was rolling the trailer under, I was in too much of a hurry.  The trailer looked like it was going under centered but slightly off line with the boat.  I underestimated how much the tail of the trailer would swing as I pushed the tongue over, as well as how much torque I could apply with a 20 ft lever arm  :^(

  I have two R22's now....and was actually putting the trailer under the one I want to keep. Now I have to figure out what to do with the 74 hull.

Todd