[Rhodes22-list] New Genny - Was Bullshit

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Mon Mar 15 07:40:09 EST 2004

come on guys - you are all so nice and so bright - the problem is me.  you
are comparing apples and oranges because this is not a one design boat and
every time I get an idea, dumb or otherwise, the boat changes so no one is
sailing exactly the same boat and over the years the cumulative changes
probably have resulted in changing sailing characteristics.  i.e.., sailboat
design is compromise:  the heavier boats we now build give a much more
comfortable ride and stiffer performance but sit lower in the water with
more wetted surface and therefore, while less tender, are slower than
earlier boats.  Tinkering with cb shapes and sail design and weight
distribution all take its toll so you are all probably right.  I had tossed
in a thread some weeks ago hoping for constructive bickering but hardly
anyone took me up on it.  So I will resubmit:  Contrary to MM's view I had
felt moving weight forward had a lot of benefits:  more speed from longer
water line and less transom turbulence, better pointing, more balanced helm
and maybe others and looked forward to hearing what people who, unlike me,
really get to sail my have found.  Use up some of this sail sizing energy
and lets get the weight distribution issue settled, at 20 paces.

ss/gbi