[Rhodes22-list] So what is the grinding sound?

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 08:18:21 EST 2004

Something was bound to break sooner or later ....

So I am out yesterday and it was blowing about 10 to 12. I am having a great
sail. I head upriver for several miles and then did a series of runs heading
home. Right as I am getting ready to jibe I get hit with a gust and the boom
lifts up, I wait for the gust to ease up and then I jibe but the boom is not
coming over. I first thought that the boom had risen up during jibe and
caught on back stay but that wasn't the case. I gave a pull and I hear a
grinding noise coming from the goose neck area and then all of a sudden the
boom is no longer connected to the mast.

I think some of the fittings got loose and rotated so that the gooseneck
would not work properly. Once loaded up it pulled out the two bolts that
hold the plastic gooseneck base to the furler rings. The metal pieces were
all mangled. I took everything apart and using vise grips and pliers i was
able to straighten everything out somewhat. I put it all back together and
had realigned the rings and screwed back down in existing holes. I was able
to sail home but now I need to order replacement parts.

I guess i wll check with GB, does Dyer sell this stuff? I don't even know
the proper name but it is a couple of steel pieces folded that fit inside of
each other to create gooseneck.

Wally