[Rhodes22-list] New Toy

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Mar 15 21:42:57 EST 2004

Peter,

To sharpen a serrated blade at all, you have to have tapered cylinder-shaped
sharpening stones.  Fortunately, my Boy Scout troop got me a really complete
knife sharpening kit one year for Christmas, so I have the requisite
Arkansas stones.  The edge on the Salt-1 blade has a single taper design,
meaning the serrations are on 1 side and the back side of the blade is flat.
As long as the serrations are not nicked up, routine sharpening can be done
with a flat Arkansas stone from the backside.  In the previous post, I was
refering to how much effort it required to sharpen the flat backside.  The
H1 alloy requires about 10X more passes over the Arkansas stone than a
comparable high carbon tool steel blade.  I would imagine a plain
non-serrated blade would be similar.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium