[Rhodes22-list] New Toy

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Mar 16 21:47:26 EST 2004

Ron,

Actually, the insoluble particles just naturally migrate to the grain
boundaries all by themselves in an attempt to minimize their surface area in
contact with the base metal alloy.  The real trick is to control the
precipitation conditions such that the particles have sufficient time to
diffuse thru the grains & grow big enough to lock the metallic grains in
place, but not grow so big that they start coallescing & leave some grains
not locked together.

It's pretty cool technology.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium