[Rhodes22-list] South America

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Thu Mar 18 16:22:04 EST 2004

Hmm, Big Carnival, good food, big nightlife, get killed in the wrong
neighborhood.  Are you sure you weren't in New Orleans?

Seriously though, it does sound like a great trip.  I've never been to
Central or South America, but I look forward to the chance to go (whenever
that might be).

It is nice to have your savings in American dollars when you travel.  I'm
going to Thailand in a couple of weeks.  I was there a couple of years ago,
and it's amazing that you will haggle for 50 baht or so, only to realize
that you've saved yourself one dollar on something that was already
rediculously cheap.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Alm [mailto:salm at mn.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 13:45
To: Rhodes
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] South America

Ben

I've seen City of God and it makes me want to stay home!  The crime in
Brazil, esp. in Rio is bad and getting worse.  On our last trip, we
accidentally got in the middle of a street fight between some teenagers
fighting over a tiny vile of glue they were sniffing.  They were absolutely
crazed and we were lucky to get out of it with only a torn shirt (mine).
At night, you don't stop for stop signs or lights.  You just slow down and
then go.  If you stop and sit there, you might be jumped.  You can't take a
cab at night unless you know the driver.  Otherwise he might take you back
into the favelas (slums) and rob you--if you're lucky!  The favelas are
massive and horrible.  City of God is a very real depiction.

That said, I love Brazil.  It's not too hard to just stay out of the way of
the crime.  When we got in that fight, we were being stupid--walking around
a funky neighborhood late at night.  (other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how did
you like Dallas?)  The people are very warm and friendly and the food is the
greatest!  They live to eat, drink and be merry.  They're party fiends.  The
Carnival in Rio makes the Macy's parade look like a high school homecoming.
The music is fantastic and the night life is filled with dancing.  If you're
a drummer, Brazil is the holy land.  Not only are the beaches the prettiest
in the world, but most of the girls go topless, and what they wear on their
bottoms is called dental floss.  8-)  As for the economy, everything is very
inexpensive.  In the US I'm just a lowly piano player, but in Brazil I'm
practically a millionaire!

I can't wait to go back!
Slim

On 3/18/04 9:32 AM, "Ben Schultz" <BenS at ApproSystems.com> wrote:

> Lloyd, I would love to hear your South American stories too.  Hopefully
Slim