[Rhodes22-list] GPS

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Fri Mar 19 14:35:14 EST 2004

Hey Vic,

Welcome to the list, and congratulations on choosing the Rhodes 22.

I would go ahead and get a small, inexpensive handheld GPS.  Like you
mention, it can be helpful in checking your current position on the chart,
and it makes it a lot easier to know how far (in time and miles) you have
until you get to that distant waypoint.  Also, on days where you really get
the boat moving, it's fun to keep an eye on your speed over ground.

Enough opinions yet?  Good choice in picking a day where we are stuck in the
office, but would rather be sailing, so we choose to "talk" about sailing as
a compromise.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve [mailto:rhodes2282 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 12:53
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: RE: Re: [Rhodes22-list] GPS

I have a hand held Magillan GPS that I use for night
sailing.  I have landmarks punch in for the ability to
sail around all the islands on my lake. don't want to
go aground at night:-)  Might spill my bourbon:-)
Steve

--- Saroj - COX <saroj at pathfind.net> wrote:
> I would definitely get a GPS - not sure about all
> the charting stuff.  Mine
> doesn't have it.  However getting an accurate
> position is invaluable.  I got
> fogged in on the York river once - couldn't even see
> a large Navy boat not
> too far away - markings are only good if you can see
> them.
>
> Coast Guard classes are wonderful.
>
> Good luck,
> Saroj

http://mail.yahoo.com

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
action by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from
your system and contact the sender.