[Rhodes22-list] Bob Dilks Sextant

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk at TRW.COM
Mon Mar 22 08:38:33 EST 2004

www.celestaire.com
Davis MK 25 sextant

Comes with instructions.

Taking a LAN on the beach is easy. On a boat harder.
A LAN ( local area noon) sight only gives latitude

real celestial navigation is easy in theory, but time consuming in practice.
Of course using a computer simplifies things.....:)

You need about 3 miles of water to get a horizon for a sight. Or there are other tricks you can use.

So even on a Tennessee lake I take sights.

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> ekroposki at charter.net 03/19/04 08:32PM >>>
Bob Dilk:
	What is the brand of this plastic sextant.  Does it come with
instructions?  How are going to use it in Tennessee?
               Ed K

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Robert Dilk
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 12:54 PM
To: jdwhite at panam.edu; rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] GPS- Sextant

Sextant   Absolutely
I own a $200.00 plastic sextant.
I have all the books and tables to do celestial navigation by hand.
When I go to the beach I have had strange looks as I do a LAN sight.
Plus it gives me a reason to re-learn the stars.

Using the sextant in real conditions is a challenge.

One interesting thing, A cheap TIMEX watch makes an excellent
chronograph.

I have an HF radio and can monitor the time chits on 5 MHZ for time
corrections.

Great Fun

Bob
S/V Knot Necessary

>>> jdwhite at panam.edu 03/19/04 12:32PM >>>
Vic:
Almost everyone that is in the same line of work as myself (Marine
Science)
owns and/uses a GPS of some sort. Judging from the last posts regarding
this (GPS), most small craft (rhodes) owners probably keep (and use) one
as
well....it's just that they (we) realize that electronics can and do
fail,
so although we probably tend to utilize them as a "first line" (out of
ease/laziness), we are also well versed (usually from the start) in the
art
of dead reckoning, chart navigation and other "classic" less technology
dependent resources, concurrently utilizing that as well when we voyage.

BTW sometimes I still practice the venerable "noon shoot" (no Rummy, not
shot glass of Mt. Gay at noon, although I do ascribe to your additional
survival technique) when working offshore....anybody else out there use
sextant?
jw

Boating