[Rhodes22-list] A sailing question to break the silence

FredkLange at aol.com FredkLange at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 09:55:47 EST 2004

Bob,

The plants and animals you want to keep off your bottom should be a big
factor in choosing a bottom paint.  Since Lake Erie was invaded by zebra mussels,
just about every sailboat has switched to VC17.  It is very easy to apply with
a paint roller and it lasts two years on six month seasons.  It will wear off
along the trailer bunks if you slide the boat along them.  But then on the
next pickup, the mussels wear off, too.

Fred

I am thinking of repainting by bottom (the boats actually) with a hard
paint.  Has anyone had a bad experience or know of any thing I should
consider before I make the purchase of VC17 or the like.  My biggest goal is
low maintiance between seasons.  The boat is in warm fresh water 8-9 months
a year and on a trailer 3 months.  I launch and and retrieve about 4 to 6 xs
a year.  Thanks in advance. Bob W