[Rhodes22-list] Insurance

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Mar 25 08:12:08 EST 2004

Vic,

All insurance is great until you have to collect and finally get around to reading the small print.

Most people buy on price and reputation.

The price will vary with the amount of risk.  A boat that is trailered from New York to Florida twice a year is at considerably more risk than an identical boat that sits in a small lake for 1/2 the year and in the owner's back yard for the rest of the year.

There is more risk on Long Island Sound than on Lake Hartwell. (Probably -- I don't really know, but the insurance companies do.)

You will be charged according to risk, and the value of your boat.  Insure it for less, and you will pay less.  Insure it for more, and you must be sure you will actually get back what you have insured it for.  Or does your insurer reserve the right to hop on this list, buy Todd's (?) old hull, give it to you, and say that's what you agreed to?

It's a tricky business, and few of us ever take the time to really check it out.

I think it would be helpful if people on the list told us exactly what they pay for their insurance, what they think their boats are worth, and some sense of how much risk their boats face.

Then we could play off one company against another to work for better deals.

In fact, if we formed an owners' association we could probably negotiate a better deal for all of our boats.

But I'm not going to do that, and you probably won't either.

Just a thought.

Bill Effros