[Rhodes22-list] Blocked for painting

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 14:29:37 EST 2004

Jim and Bob,
First, Jim, you're right--not blocked under the keel.  Two on either side of
the stern and one just forward of the Keel.  Before I jacked up the boat, I
pulled the centerboard line up tight and cleated it so it wouldn't drop down
during the process.  Blocking the boat up this way does not raise it enough
to drop the CB for painting.  Unless you can get the boat a lot higher using
methods/equipment other than what's described here, the only way to get to
the CB is by removing it from the inside.  I haven't done that in the three
years I've owned Fandango and it's probably over due.  On those hot summer
days, we anchor out and dive on the CB and scrub the slime off with a stiff
brush.  That's the only maintenance we've done on it so far.  But we're in
fresh water--if you're in salt water, you probably have to do more.
Slim