[Rhodes22-list] Whisker Pole Storage (Was Preventers)

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Mar 29 20:04:34 EST 2004

Dick,

I routinely carry both a spinnaker pole and a whisker pole.

The following two links show my spinnaker pole and my whisker pole stowed on
the foredeck:

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Roller_Furling.jpg
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Family_On_Boat.jpg

The 1st picture is an annotated close-up which shows the spinnaker pole &
the whisker pole storage arrangement at the bow.  The spinnaker pole is
stored in a Forespar M/N 30002 aluminum chock.  The whisker pole is stored
in a Schaffer M/N 97-42 HD cast stainless steel padeye.

The 2nd picture shows the storage solution for both poles from a wider
angle.  The inboard end of the spinnaker pole is stowed in a 2nd Forespar
M/N 30002 aluminum chock mounted up on top of the cabin just forward & to
port of the mast.  The inboard end of the whisker pole stows on the ring on
the sliding car on the front of the mast.  I have the track on the front of
the mast designed such that; when the car is slid down to the bottom of the
track, the whisker pole just clears the front corner of the cabin top and
can be latched onto the HD padeye at the bow for storage.  In the picture,
you can see the whisker pole angling up to the mast just behind my lower
legs.  This storage arrangment puts both poles mounted down low for minimum
center of gravity, no fouling of sheets & sails during a tack, and minimal
windage.  In addition, this storage arrangement provides a HD, large
diameter handhold, down low & suitable hanging onto while crawling, right on
the centerline of the foredeck, which is very useful when one must go
forward in heavy conditions.

Also in the 2nd picture, if you look up the mast about 18 inches below the
spreaders, you will see another fixed ring on the front of the mast.  This
fixed ring is designed to work with the sliding ring on the track.  When the
sliding car is moved to the bottom of the track, the spinnaker pole fits
exactly between the two rings.  Of course, the whisker pole is telescoping
and can be adjusted to snap onto both rings at the same time.  Thus, both
poles can be stored vertically against the mast.  I don't normally sail that
way because of the windage and extra weight aloft.  But, this method of
storage is useful while at anchor or a dock because it clears the foredeck
of tripping hazards.

I've been sailing with this spinnaker and whisker pole storage arrangment
quite a long time.  The two pictures were taken in 1994.  Daniel and Gary
were 11 and 8 years old, respectively.  Those two little boys are now almost
18 and 21 years old and both are now a couple inches taller than me.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium