[Rhodes22-list] computer space question clarification

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 20:50:38 EST 2004

Ed,

Actually duplicate data or application files do not slow down your computer
much at all if any.  Full hard drives are slow because their is no room for
swap files or virtual memory. It doesn't matter if the drive has five copies
of every file or one. Full hard drives are slow hard drives. Deleting
duplicate data files will not speed up your computer unless your hard drive
is too full for swap file to run. Running Applications, scripts, applets,
spyware, virus, worms, trojan horses, and so on slow your computer down.

Also if the data is stored on a fragmented hard drive things will run slow.
This is solved by defrag utilities.

In any case you do want to delete duplicate files to create room on your
hard drive. I have not used any software that does this so I can't offer any
specific help in cleaning up your mess. :-)

Moving forward you probably have figured out that a good file storage system
is important. If you store files the same haphazard way on your new system
you will have the same problems.

Wally