[Rhodes22-list] Flotation foam

joe blow ungerkmu1 at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 09:13:48 EDT 2004

I am interested in the total cubic feet of foam installed in a Rhodes 22.  I have a Catalina 22 in which I am considering installing flotation.  Also am generally interested in how much foam other boats of similar displacement have used.  Someone must have done original calculations and tests.  Does anyone know who I could contact for more info?  Stan does not know.

Mcgreagor used 30 cubic feet of foam in his old 21 footer that had less than 2000 lbs displacement, or so I have heard.   This would mean 40+ cubic feet in a Rholes 22 in order to achieve the same margin of safety.  Where do they put it all?  I realize it is all under the cockpit and forward v berth but when I measure it out on my  Catalina it seems to take up the vast majority of my storage space.

I have also found various calculations used by boat manufactures to determine flotation quantity on a ballasted plastic boat and end up in the 40-50 cu ft range which includes a 25% safety factor.  Does it seem like there is this much foam on a rhodes 22?   Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ken Unger