[Rhodes22-list] Boat Folleis

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 15:11:29 EDT 2004

Rummy, We had a similiar thing happen here in St. Louis last year.  There
were 2 couples that took their 28 foot speedboat from near Fenton on the
Meremac river to a bar in Alton ILL north of St. Louis on the Mississippi.
It is about 40 miles as the crow flys and maybe 60 miles by water.  Being
the safety conscience people they were they stayed at the bar until close
and attempted the 60 mile trip down one tough river to navigate (miss) and
up an unmarked river at about 1:30.  He hit the first lock at full speed and
just about got the whole boat to go thru the 2 foot concrete dam.  About 10
foot of the bow was hanging over the lock.  There was actually one survivor
who confirmed what everyone knew from the picture in the paper - alcohol was
involved and the driver was new to boating.  If I was able to navigate that
streach at night perfectly sober and at half throttleI would feel like I
cheated death.  I guess that stuff does impair judgement.
Bob