[Rhodes22-list] advice on ground for battery

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Nov 1 16:14:48 EST 2004

Lou,

Assuming your Rhodes 22 has an electrical system something like Dynamic
Equilibrium, my 1976 model, the 12 VDC fuse or circuit breaker panel is
located on the aft bulkhead of the main cabin just below & to starboard of
the companionway hatch.  If you open up that electrical panel, you should
see a bronze buss bar that the (-) terminals from all the 12 VDC circuits
are tied into & which is, in turn, connected to the (-) terminal of the
battery via a HD cable.   I would install the Dynaplate on the outside of
the hull roughly below this point.  If you locate the Dynaplate as far
inboard as possible towards the shoal draft keel; then, there won't be any
interference with your trailer.  The Dynaplate is made of sintered powdered
bronze, which makes it porous & gives the device a tremendous effective
surface area when in contact with water.  The Dynaplate will come with a
couple of special gold plated thru-bolts.  Run a HD ground cable from your
boat's (-) buss bar down to one of the gold plated thru bolts on the
Dynaplate.  By the way, you won't believe how much better your VHF and FM
radios will perform after you provide them with a good ground.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium