[Rhodes22-list] Pagliacci and the Swing States

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 16:34:36 EST 2004

Herb and Brad,

Sorry, I dropped out for the weekend because I was too busy with preparation
for, execution of, and recovery after our annual Halloween bash.  See the
attached photo of the winner of the costume contest:  Taddeo, the clown in
Pagliacci.

Now where were we?  Local control of the schools.  Yep, I agree too.  Thanks
to Bill for the quote:

"Education is a local responsibility, as far as I'm
concerned. A President should not try to be the
federal superintendent of schools, and I won't be."

George W. Bush
Governor, Texas (R)
July 17, 2000

I looks like Bush is the flip-flopper on this one with his federal mandate,
NCLB.  And for the record, Herb, you're right--I quit teaching in 2000, just
as GWB was penning NCLB.  I was teaching during the era of the previous
legislative ed gimmick called graduation standards, which was eventually
thrown out too.  It irks me to no end when legislators decide they know how,
what and why to teach better than the teachers.  As for my remark about the
janitor/lunch lady, I confess that when the scotch starts flowing around
here, so do the wise cracks.  I Hope I didn't offend.  But the point I was
trying to make is that if you're not a teacher, you don't have their
perspective.  I won't tell the lunch lady how to make sloppy Joes if she
won't tell teachers how to educate children.  I say the same to the
politicians.  I won't tell them how to kiss babies...

Did I understand you right?  The school board in each district gets to
decide how much property tax money they will get?  Party or no party, how do
they ever reach a decision?  In MN, if the district wants more money than
they've been allocated by the state, they hold a local referendum to
increase property taxes and the voters decide. In the last 6 or 8 years,
most of the referenda have passed.  In Minneapolis, about half of our
property tax goes to education.  But of course the politicians manipulate
the details every year.

Brad, we'd love to organize an effort to get rid of St. Paul's
superintendent but I actually live across the river in Minneapolis, so my
voice doesn't really count.  Further, I don't have children so my voice
counts even less.  As for Bush's stunned reaction on 9/11, let's face it, he
was only there reading to those kids for a photo op in the first place.  He
got what he asked for!

Slim