[Rhodes22-list] advice on ground for battery

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Mon Nov 1 21:47:33 EST 2004

Roger,

  I am rebuilding this boat.  I have NO operational electronics. Im
buying a panel rewiring from top to bottom. SInce I am currently up to
the CB trunk removal and noticed No way to ground for lightning there,
I posted the inquiry.   You are correct in stating the controversy
around grounding the panel to the sintered bronze.   I was surprised
that the post Hank referred me to stated the plate needed to be one sq
foot to be useful.  The potential equalization issue is totally
controversial, I believe, in the earth science community.  There is SO
much we dont know about lightning but I am truly just trying to make an
informed decision here as a newbie boat owner.

  I sincerely appreciate your help and all those who have added to my
knowledge today ( Hank!)  and know from my video and audio experience
when you do ground a radio signal you do get better reception.   I
would probably ground the radio but not the GPS power( when acquired)
nor the cd player or the thermocooler or the windlass or the.... whoops
only planning on 5 breaker board!
  thanks
  peace
Lou