[Rhodes22-list] advice on ground for battery

SVGravityLeak at aol.com SVGravityLeak at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 21:37:02 EST 2004

Lou,

If you're sailing on something larger than an inland lake, lightening
protection is a good idea.  On fresh water here in the Great Lakes, most stories of
lightening striking a sailboat in open water are pretty horrific.

However, as Rummy points out, without grounding the mast neither occupants
nor the boat will be protected.  Many deck stepped masts around here are
grounded to a solid lead keel thru an aluminum compression post.  But, that's hard to
accomplish on an R22 with no compression post and a shot filled keel.

I carry five battery cables that I clamp to the outer shrouds and the mast
itself when I'm caught under thunder clouds.  The end of each cable that goes in
the water is frayed and they have a sponge collar to protect the hull
gelcoat.  If I live through a tingle, I'll let you know that it actually works.

Fred

In a message dated 11/2/2004 2:20:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu writes:
Rummy,
  points well taken about the lightning protection.