[Rhodes22-list] winterizing- help please

Julie Thorndycraft julie at circle7.net
Fri Nov 5 07:03:26 EST 2004

Phyllis,
We have the Yamaha 9.9 electric start motor and we cheated due to lack of
time. We dropped the boat off at a Yamaha dealer for a few days and they
took care of the winterizing of the motor. Cost was $130 but when you don't
have time to do it yourself..... We also had them do a little prop repair
while they were at it.

As for the batteries, I think whether you leave them in the boat or not
depends upon what type they are. You are best checking with someone who
sells batteries to see what is best - some batteries will last longer when
they are recharged periodically throughout the season. We were also told to
never store the batteries on cement - they need to be on something like a
piece of wood. Note: the first year we left our batteries on the boat
through the winter. They had been working fine through the previous season
but when we went to charge them in the spring we found that they would not
hold the charge and when we put a 'load' on them they dropped off way too
fast and did not recover. We ended up buying new batteries. It's cheaper to
find out the proper method of storing your type of batteries - wet cell,
closed cell, AGM, etc.

I would also agree with Slim as to the spreaders. We don't remove ours but
then we store our boat in a large pole barn so we don't have to cover it. If
you are in an environment that gets snow, the weight of the tarp plus snow
weight may bend the spreaders. If you're not in snow country, then you might
not need to worry about it. Slim is up here with us in Minnesota and if I
stored my boat outside with a cover - I'd be taking them off.

Looking forward to spring,
Julie
s/v Blue Loon