[Rhodes22-list] Hurricane Damaged Facilities in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, FL Area

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Nov 5 15:48:21 EST 2004

Julie,

The attached file contains 4 photos of hotels & marina facilities in the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, FL area.  The top 2 photos show the Holiday Inn in Punta Gorda, FL, a luxury resort complex with its own marina & restaurant.  I don't know if you can read the yellow & red sign to the right of the main entrance; but, it announces an auction sale the weekend of October 27-28, 2004 in preparation for complete demolition.  The bottom two photos show what's left of another hotel/marina/gift shop complex on the Port Charlotte, FL side (north) of the Peace River.  I can't tell you the name of this facility because their sign was obliterated.  Both of these photo sets were taken near the US-41 bridge over the Peace River.  Hurricane Charlie's track inland from the Gulf of Mexico took it over Sanibel Island, Pine Island, & Captiva Island, then directly up Charlotte Harbor thru Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, FL , & then finally inland towards Arcadia, FL.  Charlie was a category 4 hurricane when it made landfall.  I don't have photos from the barrier islands; but, I imagine they must be in pretty bad shape judging from what the level of destruction on the mainland.  Keep in mind these photos were taken nearly 3 months after hurricane Charlie.

Have you made inquiries regarding what boating facilities are open & running in this area?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium