[Rhodes22-list] Mark ? about new virus ? CD backups

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Nov 9 15:08:36 EST 2004

Again, I agree with Herb.  There is one fly in the ointment:
Some software (notably Microsoft Office, Word, etc.) does not
backup properly, and if you lose your original hard drive,
you have to buy new versions of the products - if the product
is still offered.

As a result, I go one step further in the backup process
with new computers.  I remove the disk drive from the new
machine before ever turning it on, and use Partition Magic
or Drive Copy to make a perfect image of the original disk.
I use an old "utility" computer to do this.

Then put the image in the new machine and fire it up.  The
original disk drive stays on the shelf, ready to source
another image if the first copy is compromised.  This is
perfectly legal under "fair use."

/Bob Skinner