[Rhodes22-list] Mast Height?

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 12 10:23:37 EST 2004

Going under the Grand Glaze Bridge (lake of the ozarks, mo) as a kid was one
of my most ???????? strong memories.  Every year my dad would take the 4
boys on a sailing trip where we would sail to the (then) deserted part of
the lake and cove out in a state park.  In between was a bridge which was
very close to the mast hieght of the Kittywake 25.  The bridge was a few
feet higher than the HIGH Voltage wires running the span.  The bridge
abutment had markings which didn't give height numbers but some seemingly
arbitary number of lake height.  We would never be able to remember the
number from last year.  So we would drop all sail and motor slowely with
someone on the bow making a guess at it.  The perspective was always skewed
where every time the bowman would say it is close and we would keep going
anyway.  Every year we would celebrate "cheating death" and hoping it did
not rain too much before we passed back under on the way back.  That is just
one of many stories of how Dad tried to kill us on the sailboat.  For a
complete list you have to take my class.  I may be the only living
instructor who has a mistake story for every lesson I teach.  Bob