[Rhodes22-list] Winter Sailing

Al Miller al.shell at verizon.net
Mon Nov 15 23:47:19 EST 2004

Hi All,
Michelle and I did not have time to sail this summer.  Work and hurricanes!
We plan to sail long weekends over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.
The temp will probably drop to  the low 40's during the evening, maybe more.
We do have the boom-room.

My question is this.  Is there a safe heat source for when it is really cold
out?  We know how to layer our clothing and such, but we're curious about
SAFE heat sources.  We will be carrying 12-15 gallons of gasoline in two
regulation 6.5 outboard containers.  Should we hang them over the side at
night?  Does Coleman make a SAFE (read- not explosive!) heater.  Any
experienced answers appreciated.  We don't care to be a "Pan Pan Pan, Be
advised that there is a reported 22 foot sailboat afire 5 miles off
Clearwater Beach on channel 16.  Any vessels with further information please
contact the Coast Guard!!  :-)

Thanks in advance,
Al & Michelle-Tampa, FL
S/V Mishka