[Rhodes22-list] diaries from my project boat

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 16 12:38:37 EST 2004

  Thanks to many who have posted pics on the archive site, i felt
comfortable in removing my centerboard cap over the weekend.   The
cap bolts were easily removed using an open end 7/16  wrench and a
electric phillips head driver.  I think I counted 45 bolts.  I had to
muscle a 1"chisel carefully btw the neoprene and the delicate glass
cap to pry it off.  A putty knife came in handy to go into the very
tight places and I gently tapped the dried silicone sealant off and
had to tap in a crow bar also to obtain enough leverage to remove the
cap.
  Inside I found:  the handmade, slipshod work of the previous owners
who had (in their haste?) used( 2 ) 3/4" SSpipe sections instead of
sheaves  which were mounted on the board.  It probably worked ok, but
one of the upper sheaves on the cap (a factory installed mini block)
had broken loose and was capable of jamming the entire mechanism.
But to really jam the board in the up position, someone had wrapped
the pendant around the board hole instead of using a SS fitting .
Every time the board came up the pendant rubbed against the walls of
the trunk fraying the pendant.
  My neoprene is in good shape and I will most likely re use it after
cleaning it up.  I have purchased Harken bullet blocks (HAR 161) to
replace the upper cap sheaves and Harken (160) single bullet sheaves
to replace the  SS pipe that were mounted on the board itself.

  I was ready to upload pics of my portlights a few days ago when I
got busy and could not complete the task but hope to upload my first
pics later if possible.
  Is there anything else one has to do to other than try to attach a
jpeg to the email to upload pics to the list?

  and of course anyone who has advice on repairs please just chime in
as always appreciated.
  thanks
  Lou's
  Miracle Boat