[Rhodes22-list] Corpus trip: For Herb Parsons

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Nov 18 19:15:15 EST 2004

I don't know if you have a handheld GPS with chart capabilities. Before we left (going the opposite direction, but same trip), I bought a Garmin GPS Map 76. It was a lifesaver for sure. Even my wife has enthusiastically said that it was a good investment. ANYTIME she does that for a gadget I buy, it's serious.

We stopped in Port Mansfield because I was concerned we might not have enough gas if the wind didn't hold. It was a wasted trip in our case. We refilled the one empty extra 5 gallon can and part of the gas tank  (I had the 5 gallon tank, and three extra 5 gallon containers).The wind held, so it was actually unneeded. It was a good thing the wind held too, because our water impeller went out in Port Mansfield, and there was no one there that could repair it. Had we not had to try to get a repair done, the "gas detour" to Port Mansfield probably would have cost us about 2 to 2 ½ hours. As it was, it cost us about 3 ½ to 4 hours. I don't think I'd make the detour coming from your direction.

The trip was about 120 miles each way. Going south, we stopped at a great spot almost exactly halfway. That was at N27 04.578 W97 26.622 according to my GPS. BTW, I marked that a few minutes after I left, so it's not exact. However, there were several fishing shacks in the area. We were following some folks that had a 4 ½' keel. They picked that shack because it had a fairly deep channel off the ICW, with the shack right on the "corner". We tied off to the pier for the night. Took about 12 hours to get that far.

We all left about 8:00 the next morning. Had it not been for our delay at Port Mansfield, we probably would have made Port Isabel by 7:00 or so, but we ended up much later because of the delay.

Coming back north, we sailed the entire trip, no motoring, and sailed straight through taking turns at watch during the night. We made it in just a little over 27 hours, but at times we were only going about 1 knot an hour. REALLY slow early morning winds.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with the route. It's well marked with buoys the whole way. We had never done anything like this before, and had no problems.

When you get to CC, be prepared for a pretty rough trip. That bay is always rough! We stayed in CC. We've stayed in Aransas Pass another time, at Island Moorings. I've heard the channel into there may be shoaled in again, so you may want to check. going to Aransas pass instead of CC will probably add about 4-5 hours to your trip.

I have heard that the trip headed south is the one you have to worry about winds on, but we got lucky, and had good winds all the way south (but did get some rain the second day).

Take a camera and binoculars. LOTS of interesting wildlife right near by along the way.

>>> jdwhite at utpa.edu 11/18/2004 12:26:14 PM >>>
Hey Herb
Do you have any information, suggestions for my upcoming trip to Corpus
Christi via the GIWW next week. ETA's to various locations (i.e. Port
Mansfield / midway / entire lenghth 1 way),  Useful GPS fixes, hazards etc?
What charts did you use? I have the NOAA Nav charts here at the lab, and
some other local embayment info....I'm pretty familiar with the route as
far north as the land cut, but beyond? I've been in Baffin Bay a few times
and know there are some reefs, are any close to the channel? Did you stay
at Port Aransas, Aransas Pass or Corpus marina when you made the trip?You
can mail me backchannel  to spare the list the detalia...
I'm leaving Sat. afternoon, and hope to pick up a cold front by Tue for the
return trip south.
Thanks
jw
Jim White