[Rhodes22-list] Re: Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 580, Issue 1

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 20 10:35:08 EST 2004

Lou,

We never worried about the weather much when we sailed our R-22. She'd
stand up to pretty much anything. We've been out on days when the
powerboats wouldn't even come out to play and had no trouble. You can
balance the R-22 to the conditions so easily that you can be "out there"
when others would say you are nuts. Of course, under conditions like
that, as the helmsman you must be a more active participant i.e. you
can't just cleat the sheets and go.

The last time we were out on Gull lake with our R-22, the wind was 20-25
gusting to 35 and we had a great time. :-)

"And you can't
sail a ballasted tank like a Flicka in light winds.)"

That's an interesting comment. Do you always compare apples to oranges? A Flicka has (standard) about 250 sq ft of sail and weighs 6,000+ lbs. An R-22 has about 315 sq ft of sail and weighs about 3,000 lbs. Even with these specs, the Flicka will compare quite well with the R-22 in anything but the lightest winds. If one were to hang a 175 Genny on their Flicka, there might be so little difference as to be un-noticeable even in light air. You can ask the folks that have sailed with a Flicka at KY Lake, she has no trouble "keeping up" :-) But, in 20 knots of wind, I have trouble getting the rail wet even if I want to. The R-22 CAN do some things the Flicka can't though. Taking all the kids out for a sail is one of them. That big cockpit is great for taking friends and family out for for a day. I wouldn't be a bit nervous about taking my kids (if I still had any) out in an R-22. The Flicka's cockpit is too small for this type of thing. You just have to decide what you want your boat to do for you, and what you can do without.

Rik
Formerly S/V "Country Rhodes" 1995 R-22
Currently S/V "Happy Little Girls 2" 1982 PSC Flicka