[Rhodes22-list] R22 and "Burying The Rail"

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Nov 23 09:19:30 EST 2004

Lou,

I'm not pulling your leg.  First of all, go out in small craft advisory conditions once you are sure you know how to handle the boat under normal conditions.  (I don't go out when the storm is coming in, only when it is leaving.  I don't fight rain or cold--I just try to learn how to use the wind on the back side of a storm.)

I always go out alone, and I always clip on the whole time I'm out there.  There is no one who's going to rescue you if you get in trouble, and if you get into trouble you want to stay with the boat.  You don't want to be responsible for anyone else under these conditions--but once you master them, it's like a day in the park.

I always sail my boat very flat and very smoothly.  My wife is uncomfortable with heeling, luffing, missed tacks, and near misses of any kind.  She doesn't care how fast we go, as long as her ride is devoid of moments of sheer panic.  Sailing this way, even when single handed in 25 kt. winds has proved highly advantageous.

Look up "cross sheeting" in the archive.  I always cross sheet, and this technique contributes to the ability to single handedly maintain full control under all weather conditions.

Look up "balance" in the archive.  You establish your boat's "groove" by moving things around.  My boat is bow heavy and starboard side heavy.  I prefer to sail from the port captain's seat.  This balance allows the boat to sail upright even when the wind is blowing strongly.  Which allows me to sail with very little helm bias--when I sail in a straight line there is very little drag on my rudder.

I rarely put the centerboard down, and have gone entire summers without doing so.  Again, this reduces drag.  My motor is light.  I have removed all the junk I never use.  At rest, the boat floats several inches above the waterline stripe.

"Use the Force, Luke...trust your feelings..."

Once you are comfortable with your boat, sailing can be extremely zen-like.  I don't sail to prove I can do it better or faster than anyone else.  I don't particularly care where I go most of the time.  I just like the connection a sail boat makes between me and nature.

You get to the point where you can't explain what you are doing, or why you are doing it.  This ability extends out to the most extreme situations.  Stan is the absolute master, and sailing with him is a treat not to be missed.

Having said all that, we must look at the place where I sail.  Long Island Sound.  Huge amounts of water slosh back and forth through the Sound every 6 hours, creating currents that can sometimes reach 5 to 6 knots in certain places.  The "East River" in NYC is one of those places--and I have gone charging down the East River at 9-10 kts more than once.

However there are significant currents throughout the Sound everywhere, and it is always possible to pick up 1 to 2 knots on any given day.  So I routinely can sail at 7-8 kts. (Over ground) when there is enough wind.  Interestingly, if I cut across the current, and throw my KnotStick sensor overboard, it will say that its speed through the water (which is what it measures) is also 7-8 kts.

In extreme weather conditions the speed of the current is much greater throughout the Sound.

The Sound is also signficantly deep in many places, and I always achieve my best speed over the deep spots.  Barnegat Bay is incredibly shallow.  I'm sure this is a factor.  Roger can explain it.  I can't.

Also, I sail in the narrow end of the Sound.  The land masses on either side keep the wind from creating the same size waves the same amount of wind would create on more open bodies of water.  Most of the time we get swells rather than waves, and my Rhodes will bob on the swells like a cork.  I can surf on the top of a swell for 5-10 minutes at a time, finally slide off it, and then catch another without losing my boat speed.

I sail with a very small main sail--silly small to look at it--and increasing amounts of Genoa.  I have a 175--and sometimes put it all out there.

The boat is a kick and a half.  It is good for both thrills and safety--single handing and crowds. Enjoy it.

Bill Effros

"Conservatives are so afraid of losing their majority
status right now that.they're showing an astonishing
willingness to spend now and dump all the cost in our
children's laps, and an amazing unwillingness to
reconcile the size of government with the amount of
taxes needed to fund it."

Brian M. Riedl
Heritage Foundation
November 24, 2003