[Rhodes22-list] Help re Dinghy

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Sun Nov 28 18:48:21 EST 2004

Doug,

My wife Julie and I got an Achilles 8' inflatable floor hypalon dinghy for
Raven. It packs up and stores under the seat, but it's no lightweight at
around 75 lbs. It's way more UV resistant than PVC, it's rated for 600 lbs,
the nameplate rates it for up to 6 hp and it actually rows very nicely. It
tied in a dead heat with another dinghy that was reputed to not have even
bothered rounding the mark in the Great Dinghy Race at the 2002 Memorial Day
Rhendezvous in Swan Creek <g>. http://www.kaynor.org/rhendezvous/

We kept Raven on a mooring when we were in Maine a couple of years ago and
rowed in and out using the dinghy. I was really pleasantly surprised at how
well it rowed, even w/ about 10 knots of breeze on the beam. The inflatable
floor also includes an inflatable keel that makes a huge difference in the
way it tracks rowing. We like it a lot, but in retrospect, I think it's
overkill for the way we use the boat. Something more like Mary Lou and
Fred's would probably see more use.

Mark