[Rhodes22-list] whisker pole question

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sun Oct 3 10:10:13 EDT 2004

Hey Jim,
            Funny you should mention a wisker pole.  I just couldn't see
myself spending big bucks for a light-moderate air wisker pole, so I made
one for $30 and a couple of pieces salvaged off a wreck.  I used two
commercial painting poles (7 feet ) for $15 each and made a track similar
the the Genoa track but only 6 inches long and mounted it on the mast.  I
then used an old articulated Genoa car and as I recall a bronze 4" bolt at
the sail end and bronze battery clamp  that snaps on the shaft of the Genoa
car (much deteriorated roller was removed).  The end fittings were mounted
in a piece of wood that was snugly fitted into the hollow end of each pole.
They snap together/apart for ease of storage.  I was out on a small (3-4
mile)  Cascade lake on Sat. & Sunday and the pole really worked great (too
bad it didn't heat the boat too, it went down to freezing last night!
Chris G
Medford, OR.