[Rhodes22-list] I Wish To Change My Vote

pdgrand at nospam.wmis.net pdgrand at nospam.wmis.net
Wed Oct 6 18:40:24 EDT 2004

Roger,

You mention, "The presence of stable democracies in Afganistan and Iraq
will go a long way towards stabilizing the situation in the Middle East."
I once read somewhere that the basic foundation of a working democracy is
the willingness of the defeated party to accept the leadership of the
winning party.  Theoretically, I love the sound of democracies in the
middle east.  Realistically, I don't see any hope of the defeated accepting
the leadership of the elected winners.  If that happens, you'll never have
a stable democracy.  Besides, a democracy has been in place in Turkey for
some time and hasn't done much to stabilize the middle east.

I hope you have a good answer on this because I really hope I'm wrong.

Paul

> Well, after watching the presidential & vice presidential debates, I wish
to pull a flip flop & change my vote to Bush/Cheney.  Let me explain my
thinking.

> As a draftable male college student in the early 1970's, I watched
developments in the Vietnam war & the protest movement here at home with
great interest.  John Kerry's presidential candidacy has made me reexamine
my own attitudes towards Vietnam.  There were a lot of mistakes made in the
way the United States conducted the Vietnam war - presidential
micromanagement of war strategy at the tactical level, overly restrictive
rules of engagement, "pin-prick" strikes vs. the use of overwhelming force,
allowing the enemy to reoccupy captured territory thus causing multiple
battles over the same sites, over reliance on airpower in a jungle gorilla
war, forced adoption of weapons like the M-16 assault rifle that were not
yet ready for prime time, etc.  The US military shot its credibility in the
foot by publishing inflated enemy "body counts" that had no basis in
reality.  This was also the 1st war that played out on American television
screens on the news every evening.  The Tet offensive was really the
turning point.  You really have to give the VC a lot credit for the way
they pulled off Tet.  Seemingly under our very noses, the VC had
constructed extensive underground tunnel complexes within striking distance
of strategic targets all over South Vietnam.  They had spent years building
these tunnel complexes & stocking them with weapons and ammunition.  We
were completely surprised when the VC seemingly came out of nowhere in a
massive coordinated assault on something like 23 targets all over South
Vietnam.  Yet, within a month, we had recaptured all these targets.  We
took something like 4000 casualties, the largest US body count of any
battle in the Vietnam war.  But, reliable North Vietnamese casualty data
indicates we slaughtered them something like 4:1.  Some VC units were
completely wiped out & were never again an effective fighting force.  The
Tet offensive was pretty much an all out, one time attempt for North
Vietnam.  Tactically, the VC got decisively defeated & it set their ability
to wage war back by years.  But, by then, the US military had lost nearly
all of its credibility.  No one believed the US military published body
counts, or accounts of recaptured cities, and the US casualties were all
over the nightly news.  The American public was horrified at the carnage on
display on their televisions & it changed everything.  Before Tet, most of
the American public believed the Vietnam war was winnable.  After Tet, the
antiwar movement grew exponentially, the talk changed to "peace with honor"
& getting the troops home.  So, even though the Tet offensive was a
decisive tactical defeat for North Vietnam, their all or nothing gamble
paid off and eventually resulted in total victory.

> The lesson the world took away from Vietnam was the United States is a
military superpower with no staying power.  We'll spend a fortune on weapon
systems and training to enable our military to efficiently kill from a
distance.  Our military has learned from the mistakes made in Vietnam & has
fixed most of them.  We go into a conflict with overwhelming force and just
simply roll over our enemy.  But, anyone that can reduce a conflict to a
bloody, protracted battle of attrition, especially when it is played out on
the nightly news, will eventually win over American public opinion & defeat
us.

> So, what kind of a president will John Kerry make?  With Bush, we have 4
years of actual presidential record to examine.  With Kerry, we must look
at his life experiences that have prepared him to be president.  As I
examine John Kerry's resume, I see a rich, privileged kid that went off to
war in Vietnam in what might be called "patriotic fervor".  In Vietnam, he
looked the horrible face of war square in the eyes & it scared & sickened
him.  Kerry's record since Vietnam indicates he has turned into an
appeaser.  His voting record in the US Senate is especially revealing in
this regard.  Just like the United State's reputation in the world, Kerry
makes a lot of blustering tough statements about fighting terrorism &
finishing what we started in Iraq during the campaign.  But, when the
rubber hits the road & the body count starts climbing, Kerry wants to
fold.  After listening to the debates and considering Kerry's record, there
is no doubt in my mind; that, if Kerry is elected, the US will make a
speedy withdrawal from Iraq, no matter the side effects.

> Some of you may be saying, "So what, we shouldn't have gotten into Iraq
in the 1st place!"  Well, that depends upon what you believe the war on
terrorism is.  Is it merely a "law enforcement" issue against groups of
isolated radical Muslims?  Or, has it become a life & death struggle
between ideologies?  I would argue it has become the later.  The presence
of stable democracies in Afganistan and Iraq will go a long way towards
stabilizing the situation in the Middle East.  Yes, the war is not going
well at the moment; but, to quit now will only confirm the world's view of
us.  The damage to our credibility with our allies might be irrepairable.
The terrorists realize how big a defeat it would be to have stable
democracies in Afganistan and Iraq.  That's why they are fighting so hard.

> Originally, I thought a Kerry election would permit other nations to join
our coalition in Iraq without losing face.  Since the debate, both France &
Germany have been asked that question & both said, "Huh, no way?"  No one
will follow Kerry's leadership when his conviction regarding the mission in
Iraq is so weak.

> I do not expect the Republicans to lose control of congress in this
election.  Therefore, Kerry's chances of passing his domestic agenda are
slim to none.  So, as much as I dislike the Bush administration's domestic
policies, it is a vain hope to think a Kerry administration would have any
significant impact.  More likely, nothing would happen.

> So what is it that I expect or want from a Federal government?  Well, I
guess 1st & foremost I want the country to be as safe as possible from
attack.  Terrorists exploding a nuclear weapon or biological weapon in the
midst of a large city is a truly frightening proposition.  Bush is clearly
a better choice on this issue.

> The 2nd thing I want is a stable supply of critical resources.  Keep in
mind the United States uses about 50 million barrels of crude oil per day &
about 50% of that is imported.  This is a staggering amount of crude oil, a
number so big it's hard to come to grips with.  Modern civilization has
become so interconnected that interuption of this resource would be simply
devastating.  Think about what happened in New York City in July, 2003
during the power outage.  That was from just one day of power interruption
to a major metropolitan area!  A few years ago, James Burke did a series of
shows that aired on PBS and The Learning Channel.  I think the television
series was called "Connections" and he also published a companion book with
the same title.  In this series, Mr. Burke documents how interconnected &
intrinsically fragile modern civilization has become.  Basically, our
civilization has become so specialized and interconnected that we need to
start thinking of critical resources like crude oil in the same category as
air, water, & food.  Those of you that live in big cities, just remember
your entire lifestyle is enabled by a nearly invisible technological life
support system that is massively interconnected, intrinsically vulnerable,
and totally dependant upon a stable global flow of goods and services.  You
should be very nervous.  At the very least, stop saying things like, "No
oil for blood!"  Get real people, in modern civilization, oil is blood!
We're in a global competition for scarce resources.  If we lose this
competition; then, our population is much too large to be supported without
these resources & the consequences will be real bad.  I would argue this is
a really good reason to go to war.

> Although the outcome is by no means certain with Bush's vision for Iraq,
at least there is a chance of a good outcome with this president.  I see
little or no chance for a good outcome in Iraq with Kerry.  If we lose the
country to a terrorist attack or can't get the resources to sustain our
civilization, the domestic issues have to take a lessor priority.  Besides,
I don't think Kerry would be able to get his domestic agenda passed anyway
because of congress.