[Rhodes22-list] Dilemma

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Oct 6 16:57:02 EDT 2004

Take out the boat, set a hook, put on your surfing shorts, tie down the
tiller (or set the autopilot if you've got one), stand on the bow and
close your eyes. SailSurfFishing.

I oughta be a travel agent and get paid for this stuff...

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35

>>> jdwhite at utpa.edu 10/06/04 2:31 PM >>>
OK folks

The weather here is 84 degrees, the wind is west at 5-10mph and it is
overcast with an occasional (tropical) rainshower.

The Laguna Madre is perfect for sailing, smooth and calm, and I can
envision myself in a couple of hours setting sail, and letting the wind
in
the canvas work its magic. Maybe a couple of cold beers and some fresh
ceviche (sort of a Mexican version of a seafood cocktail) to complete
the
day....

On the other hand, last night we went wade fishing about a mile north of

the town of South Padre Island, and today looks to be a carbon copy of
that. I caught 4 speckled trout over 20" each and a tasty moderate sized

redfish (28"). The water was gin-clear with nary a ripple, and as I
glided
along the seagrass beds in pursuit of finny critters the sun made it's
departure, mullet were jumping, and big fish were cruising everywhere .
The
evening was almost surreal, and certainly something out of a
sportfishermans dream. This is the best time here to fish, everything is

schooling up and hungry, and a person would be foolish not to take
advantage of it at almost every opportunity.

And then there's the surf....today we have a swell rolling in that's
about
head high, and perfectly groomed by the offshore winds, a regular
tropical
groundswell, easy to paddle out in and plenty fun for an old fart surfer
/
sailor / fisherman like myself. I can also see myself catching a few
waves,
then finishing up the evening at the Dolphin Cove Oyster Bar, knocking
back
some fifty cent drafts and a couple of dozen twenty-five cent oysters
(Yea,
today's the mid week special there).

And therein lies the dilemma....One certainly can't do all three
activities
in a single afternoon. Should I sail, fish or surf? It's 1430 here, I
got
off at 1700, the beach is 100 yards from the labs backdoor, the fishing
spot is about 10 minutes north, and Le Menagerie is across the bridge a
scant five miles (by road) away.....Jeez, decisions, decisions....what
should I do?

Jim White
Le Menagerie