[Rhodes22-list] Some Public School Programs Work Pretty Well

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Thu Oct 7 00:26:24 EDT 2004

   Roger,

       We HAD something like that here in Maryland, called the MSPAP.  I
   was initally to used to gage how well the schools were teaching the
   pupils.  The schools had to pass and each year show an improvement or
   face take-over by the state BOE.

       We unfortunately did not reap such positive results.  Instead, the
   results were twisted and used by a certain racially based "lobbyist"
   group (no names here), to show that minority children did universally
   worse than their white counterparts.  The test was supposed to be
   blind and the children's sex, ethnic and economic information was
   never to be recorded...but it was.

       A committee was formed by the state Board of Ed to find out why
   the minority children....all except a group named the "Asian/Pacific
   Islander Group"...were scoring poorly.   The committee spent two years
   and generated a 208 page report.  I studied the report in painstaking
   detail.  The conclusion was 11 reasons grouped into three main root
   causes.  Poverty, Lack of parental involvement, and low self esteem.
   When explaining why the Asian/Pacific Islander Group children (approx
   2%) scored consistently highest in all grades and genders, the
   committee came up  with a statement..to paraphrase it...It is widely
   known that Asian students are generally the smarter.

       Poverty meant that the children were under nourished, could not
   buy paper and pencils, etc.  Lack of parental involvement is
   self-explanatory.  Low self esteem was sort of a catch-all for every
   other excuse.  Low self esteem came from low self worth in males
   because of the absence of a male role model in the home setting;
   and the instructional material did not reflect enough people of color
   or their heritage.  That is about the only point I could have agreed
   with. etc, etc, etc.

       The state budgeted monies and came up with very loose guidelines
   for the counties to follow as far as what types of programs and
   activities to provide to the minoritiy students.  This money was to
   specifically help only minority students who were scoring poorly.  The
   counties in turn passed the money out to the schools and left it up to
   individual principals to decide how to use it. (within the vague
   guidelines mandated by the state BOE)  There was no accountability at
   all.   At my sons' elementary school there was free breakfast and
   lunch for minority children, free before and after daycare for
   minority children, they had the "BBC'......the black boys club which
   held field trips, pizza parties and more exclusively for "african
   american" students. Hispanic, Asian and all other minority students
   were excluded....community mentoring and big brother programs, etc.
   The principal was African American, and she too k all of the money
   given out by the state, all money budgeted for the gifted and talented
   program, and even bullied the PTA into opening their accounts to her
   for the stealing.

     One of the county Board of Ed members is a friend of ours. When she
   spoke out against the testing and kept her children home during that
   week, she was publicly censured by the Board, received a gag order
   and  was threatened with legal action for not having her children at
   in school.

     Thankfully so much negative publicity was generated that the state
   stopped this particular test.  Now we have "No Child Left Behind" and
   no funding.

       My brother and sister-in-law have their daughter in a Catholic
   school. There are less programs and resources available than in public
   schools.  They face a different set of problems though.  My niece did
   not do very well last year, but she was advanced anyway.  When I was
   discussing this with my brother-in-law, he reasoned that she must have
   done enough or she would not have been advanced to the next grade.  I
   could not contain my laughter.  I looked him in the eye and asked, "Do
   you think they would admit that they dropped the ball on educating
   your daughter and then look you in the eye and ask for another $6000
   to repeat the sixth grade? Come on!!"

      Schooling is like anything else.  You only get out what you put
   in.  We stay very involved with our kids schooling.  -proactive and
   not reactiveand so far it has paid-off.

   Todd