[Rhodes22-list] I Wish To Change My Vote

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 05:53:09 EDT 2004

Roger,

I'll certainly give you credit for your intellectual honesty.  You come
right out and say it.  You'll send your two boys to die for oil. I don't
know how I can argue with that, but when I read your earlier post on how
they're both kicking ass in school, I can't help but think what a tragic
waste that would be.   They have bright futures ahead of them.  Why
jeopardize that?  They're both of the age where they could be drafted--that
means it's not THEIR decision, but rather a decision made for them by
politicians.  It seems like that's what you really want, and so the chances
of talking you out of that are slim and none.  I'll just have to accept the
fact that one of the great minds here on the Rhodes list has adopted a
hawkish, blood-lust mentality, even to the expense of his own children.  I
regret that.

You say that GWB deserves the benefit of the doubt. Come on, man, he's HAD
the benefit of the doubt.  He got elected president--well, not exactly.  But
what he deserves now more than ever is scrutiny!  I don't hold politicians
up to godlike standards--that's asking way too much!  I just want them to be
responsible, intelligent and honest and I don't think GWB has been any of
those.

I'm not even going to try to offer solutions for untangling the mess in the
middle east.  I'm not informed enough nor smart enough.  I don't know who
is.  Pull out? Stay in? Sounds like what happened at the drive-in when I was
16.  But I sure as Hell will not let Michael Moore OR Rush Limbaugh tell me
what to think.  I go with my gut.  And my gut tells me that there's gotta be
a better way.  Maybe it's naïve to be optimistic but that's why I vote for
change.  The Bush administration has shown us nothing but fear, contempt and
aggression.  If that's how you want America to be characterized, then he's
your man.

I'm frustrated that John Kerry is the best that the dems can come up with.
I don't really like him much at all.  And I definitely don't like John
Edwards. Come to think about it, I don't like any of these jackasses, so a
guy's gotta vote for the lesser of two evils.  I don't like it but that's
the reality.  Kerry hasn't done anything to piss me off and Bush has.  I
hear a lot of noise about Kerry's voting record, but have you really looked
at it yourself?  Have you counted votes and read all the bills and their
riders for 30 years and decided for yourself?  Probably not. OK, he's a
Massachusetts liberal and he votes on the left--that ain't news.  But when
in doubt--dump the incumbent and get a fresh start.

Roger, there's nothing wrong with flip-flopping.  There's still time to
change your mind again.  Don't put Daniel and Gary in harm's way!

Slim Chance