[Rhodes22-list] The draft.

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Oct 7 21:02:02 EDT 2004

More than 2.

But the point was that the only way we can "stay the course" is to reinstitute the draft, and if those who say they want to continue on our current heading are serious, they will have to draft somebody because we are out of volunteers for this particular mission.

It is my belief that no matter who wins in November we are going to cut and run.  We are going to stage an election, declare a winner, say that our job here is done, and let all hell break loose.  The people who shot down the draft proposal know that--otherwise they would have let the Democrats be responsible for bringing up this unpopular measure.

The worst part is that nobody really seems to have a better idea.  The lesson of Vietnam was to cut and run sooner rather than later when fighting widespread indigenous uprisings.  The British did that here, and in India, and in fact all over the world.  The French did it in Algeria, and Vietnam, and all over the world.  The Russians did it in Afghanistan, and again when they allowed the breakup of the USSR.

It's a fight you can't win.  Your supply lines are too long, the costs too great, the enemy has an infinite supply of fighters, sooner or later popular support disappears in your own country.

We gloat over killing a couple of hundred Iraqis at the cost of a half dozen of our soldiers.  Iraq lost a million men in the Iran-Iraq war.  A couple of hundred means nothing to them.  But 1/2 dozen means a lot to us.

This thing is not going to go away, and we're not going to "win".  We'll leave.

Bill Effros

To download a free copy of the electronic book "Quote Without Comment"

Click on or copy this address and load it into your web browser:
http://www.quotewithoutcomment.com/qwc.cgim?template=FreeBook

Want to see more quotes?
http://www.QuoteWithoutComment.com